Friday, February 18, 2011

One-paragraph reviews: Supergirl, Wolverine and Jubilee, Marvel Girl

Wolverine and Jubilee #2
Written by Kathryn Immonen; art by Phil Noto; Marvel

I've already mentioned how infatuated I am with Phil Noto's art in this series. It's beautiful and the characters are expressive in really subtle ways. Kathryn Immonen's script is good, also, although I found some of the conversation in the first scene a little bit confusing. Overall, this issue is maybe not quite as strong as the first one, but it's still highly enjoyable and it was my favourite comic this week. I'm looking forward to the rest of the mini-series.

VERY GOOD

Supergirl #61
Written by James Peaty; art by Bernard Chang; DC

I was a little bit worried when Nick Spencer left the title after just one issue, but this issue reassured me that the book is still in good hands. James Peaty is presumably still working from Spencer's notes (although unlike JMS in Superman and Wonder Woman, Spencer is no longer credited) and continues in the same direction that was hinted at in the last issue. Peaty seems to have a good handle on all the characters, including Lois Lane and Damian Wayne who both have guest appearances. Supergirl's not a character I've had very much exposure to in the past, so it's a bit hard for me to judge how well Peaty is writing her compared to how her character has been previously established, but so far nothing strikes me as being off-key. Bernard Change's art is really nice, too.

GOOD

Marvel Girl (one-shot)
Written by Joshua Hale Fialkov; art by Nuno Plati; Marvel

Hmm. I didn't realize when I bought this that it was some kind of tie-in to the X-Men: First Class movie. At least I think that's what it was, 'cause I don't really see why else this comic would exist. This wasn't bad, but it wasn't really anything special either. Nuno Plati's art is okay, if a bit cartoony. It would be perfect for an all-ages title, but I'm not sure it was the right fit for this story. My biggest problem though is I have a hard time really understanding what purpose this comic served. As a self-contained story, it feels very incomplete, but on the other hand it's not really leading into anything else, other than a movie I have very little interest in seeing. Unless you're a huge fan of the character, I'd say this one-shot can be safely ignored.

SKIP

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP